The latest edition of WordPress has been released the masses. WordPress 3.6 ‘Oscar’ (named after the wonderful Canadian Jazz Pianist Oscar Peterson) is the first of 3 versions coming in the second half of this year. I will take a little time to introduce WordPress 3.6 here and walk through some of the enhancements that have been built right in. Bullet-proof autosave features and post locking (very cool for the multi-user sites out there), a revamped revision browser which was long overdue and seems to be moving in the right direction with this release, native support for audio and video embedding. Below is the official video for the release directly from the lads and lassies over at WordPress HQ:
“Music by Oscar Peterson Canadian Jazz Pianist”
- Revamped Revisions save every change and the new interface allows you to scroll easily through changes to see line-by-line who changed what and when.
- Post Locking and Augmented Autosave will especially be a boon to sites where more than a single author is working on a post. Each author now has their own autosave stream, which stores things locally as well as on the server (so much harder to lose something) and there’s an interface for taking over editing of a post, as demonstrated beautifully by our bearded buddies in the video above.
- Built-in HTML5 media player for native audio and video embeds with no reliance on external services.
- The Menu Editor is now much easier to understand and use.
Updating to WordPress 3.6
We will be taking care of all the updates for WordPress 3.6 for our clients on Managed WordPress Plans with us so therefore you need not worry about anything and rest assured you will be on the latest version of WordPress with all it’s benefits very shortly. All plugins will be tested first and foremost with WordPress 3.6 before the update to Oscar and then we will begin the updates. This is one more great reason to why Managed WordPress Updates with JamJo is a great way to keep your site up to date.
- This update to WordPress 3.6 requires the user to backup the entire website first and the database.
- You then need to make sure all plugins you have running work seamlessly with this new Update
- You need need to apply all the updates to the plugins you have installed on your website
- You need need to update to WordPress 3.6
- You then need to test your site for any issues with WordPress 3.6 and fix any of these issues.
- You then need to prepare for WordPress 3.7 which is actually coming very shortly along with WordPress 3.8 which is scheduled for release before the end of 2013
Why do all of this work 3 or 4 times before the end of this year alone just to keep your website up to date when JamJo can take care of this for you on very affordable plans located here.
Oscar does sound so sweet 😉